Dec 6, 2013

Budget Control (Food Costs part 2)

I'd like to share a great conversation I just had with my son.
First, I returned from the grocery store today with another $109.00 spent. My second trip this week.
The first trip cost us $52.00.  You may be thinking..."what's the problem with that?"
Problem:  I should have scanned
what food we already had in the pantry!
Egg noodles were on sale 4 for $5, so I bought 5 bags.  Spaghetti sauce was $1 a jar, so I bought 4 of those. Now we have 9 jars of spaghetti sauce and 11 bags of egg noodles crammed in my cabinets.
That's not all!  I also bought various jars of curry sauces that were on clearance.  How many jars of those now?  7 jars!  Let's not forget to mention the copious numbers of canned items: soups, vegetables, fruitcup, & on, & on....

This is that lack of planning on my part that I discussed in my previous postMy son pointed to the cabinets & freezer overflowing with food and said that we need to stick to a "set list of food we KNOW we like & will eat up right away so that our stock turns over quickly & so that food doesn't end up in the trashcan".  Uh ...YES!  Out of the mouths of babes!
Lesson learned today - SHOP MY PANTRY FIRST!

No comments:

Post a Comment